Herbed Pork Roast with Onions and Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine water, broth, ketchup, garlic and seasonings; pour over roast. Add onions and bay leaf. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Add mushrooms; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with onions and mushrooms. Thicken pan drippings for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Oct 30, 2013
Instead of using canned mushrooms, I used a gluten free cream of mushroom soup. The roast turned out great with roasted potatoes.
Jul 15, 2012
I made this one in the crockpot and it was amazingly tender. Perfect texture if you want to use leftovers to make pulled pork. The accompanying sauce was pretty good too - even my super-picky 8 year old liked it! Personally I thought it could use a bit more spice to it; next time I'll try to kick it up a bit and see what happens
Feb 16, 2012
I made this as written. It was tender and my husband enjoyed it but I did not care for the flavor myself. Maybe it was the ketchup? I would not discourage others from making it, though. It was just not to my taste.
Feb 3, 2010
I did this in the slow cooker and used the whole can of chicken broth. I also used fresh mushrooms and added them at the begining. I cooked it on low over night. It was great,