Herbed Pork Pie
Folks savor this hearty meat pie. The flaky crust is filled with pork, potatoes, celery, onion and a blend of seasonings.—Marcella Moore, Washington, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Set aside. In a large skillet, cook pork, onion, celery and garlic until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add potatoes, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Beat egg and water; brush over bottom pastry. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Increase heat to 450°. Pour pork mixture into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling; cut slits in top. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 632 calories, 36g fat (14g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 1, 2018
This was easy to make. I used locally produced/butchered pork and lard. I added some pepper and red pepper flakes as I thought it was kind of bland. Makes a nice big pie. Winner winner pork dinner!