Parmesan and a blend of seasonings flavor every bite of these cornmeal breadsticks that were developed in our Test Kitchen. The dough is easy to roll out and cut into strips.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- Melted butter and additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and onion powder. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 10-in. square. Cut into 1-in. strips. Place 2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Serve warm. Yield: 20 breadsticks.
Originally published as Herbed Breadsticks in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p8