Herbed Onion Focaccia
This recipe makes three savory flat breads, but don't be surprised to see them all disappear from your dinner table!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons small fresh sage leaves or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Seasoned olive oil or additional olive oil, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons oil, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into three portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into an 8-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make several 1/4-in. indentations in each loaf.
- Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with green onions, rosemary, sage and oregano. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve with olive oil for dipping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 217 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.