- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3-3/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in oats. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter; cool to 120°-130°. In a mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt; set aside. Beat in oat mixture until moistened. Add egg. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Punch dough down. Press dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush with 4 tablespoons melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining butter. Combine the Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic powder and oregano; sprinkle over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until brown. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forHerbed Oat Pan Bread
"So delicious!! I did make some alterations to the original recipe. First, I halved everything except the egg and the dry topping ingredients. Secound, I left the butter out of the oat and water mixture and when it had cooled slightly, sprinkled the yeast over top to foam. Then I added the sugar, salt, melted butter and egg. Lastly, I diveded the dough into 14 balls and placed them an inch apart on a silicone lined sheet. 2/5/18"