Herbed Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, soup and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 330 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
May 28, 2016
I like this recipe very much. It reminds me of a thicker version of my mom's spaghetti sauce.
Sep 23, 2013
My husband and I thought this sauce was really good. I made it with the condensed soup per the recipe. Don't like rosemary, though, so I omitted it. I've made it several times.
Aug 3, 2009
Did you try the recipe both ways (soup vs tomatoes)? What size of tomato? Roma? What size of can diced tomatoes
Sep 8, 2008
I would highly recommend not using the condensed soup and just add 3 vine, organic tomatoes. and one can of italian herbed diced tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.