All my family's favorites—crispy bacon, sauteed mushrooms and fresh parsley—are combined into one delicious buttermilk waffle. It's the absolute best brunch item, and they're even good for sandwiches. —Jennifer White, Columbus, Ohio
Recommended: 45 Skinny Breakfast Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Sour cream and tomato slices, optional
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in bacon and parsley.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and butter. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. If desired, serve with sour cream and tomato slices. Yield: 10 waffles.
Originally published as Herbed Mushroom & Bacon Waffles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p188