Herbed Mozzarella Round
Served warm with soup or salad, this pretty bread is hearty enough to round out a quick meal during busy holidays.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (prepared with added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add potatoes and butter. Beat in warm milk until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Beat for 2 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. circle. Transfer to a lightly greased 14-in. pizza pan. Sprinkle cheese over center of dough to within 5-in. of edge. Sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Bring edges of dough to center; twist to form a knot. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and milk; brush over top. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 352 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Mozzarella Round in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.