Herbed Macaroni N Cheese
This recipe, shared by Lois McAtee of Oceanside, California, shows you can watch your diet and still enjoy down-home country cooking. "The herbs make it different from other macaroni and cheese recipes," she notes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add marjoram, thyme, nutmeg and paprika; stir until blended. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in mustard and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and cottage cheese; stir until coated.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 372 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 meat.
Originally published as Herbed Macaroni N Cheese (Baked macaroni n cheese) in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.