- 2-2/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or additional broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring twice. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forHerbed Lentils and Rice
"My husband does not like rice or lentils but he said this was pretty good. Shocker.I really like it and will be making it again. I forgot to add the 1/4 cup wine/broth so it was done in 1 hour 15 minutes and a bit dry, but my fault. Still delicious. Thank you for this recipe!"
"Lentils aren't my favorite food, but this was good, full of flavor."
"Our family loves this as a side dish, especially with curried chicken. Even our 13 month old enjoys it! I made it without cheese as I have dairy allergies. I covered it with tin foil to keep the top from drying out without the cheese. It was still an extremely flavorful dish!"
"My whole family liked this including my 1-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son. It seemed like a lot of liquid when I put everything in the pan, but it is all absorbed during cooking. I served this as a side dish with fish."