Herbed Italian Meat Sauce
I got this recipe from a California cousin back in 1953, and it's just as popular with my family now as it was then. The slow simmering really blends the tastes.—LaVerne Creamer, Paducah, Texas
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients except pasta and cheese.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the sauce is as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Serve with pasta; sprinkle with cheese.