Herbed Golden Squash Soup
I served this unusual soup last Thanksgiving and received rave reviews - even people who don't usually like squash enjoyed its hearty flavor. To dress it up, I sometimes add a dollop of yogurt on top.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash, divided
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice, divided
- 1 cup apple juice, divided
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil with nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme and bay leaves until onion is tender. Stir in the water, celery and carrot; cover and simmer until carrot is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- In a blender, place half of the squash and half of the tomato, apple and orange juices; add half of the vegetable mixture. Puree; return to pan. Repeat with the remaining squash, juices and vegetable mixture; return to pan. Add salt and pepper. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 118 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Golden Squash Soup in Country Extra September 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.