Herbed Fish Soup
My husband loves fish prepared in variety of ways, so it's no surprise this soup has become one of his most-requested meals. I think you'll also enjoy this comforting flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes7 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 pound cod or haddock, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 bacon strips, diced, optional
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- in a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same pan, saute the carrots, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the flour, thyme, dill and pepper until smooth. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add bay leaf. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until carrots and mushrooms are tender.
- Add fish and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove bay leaf. Garnish individual servings with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Herbed Fish Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.