Herbed Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 2 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon each rubbed sage and poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen noodles or 2 cups cooked noodles
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place the first 13 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to kettle. Add frozen noodles and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, or add cooked noodles and heat through. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 91 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Jul 7, 2014
I have been using this same recipe for years ! I make it with dumplings .
Mar 2, 2011
Just what I was looking for to use bones and wings after deboning breasts. Grated carrots to disguise it from my boys. Worked! Put in cooked rice, instead of noodles.
Feb 12, 2011
Thank you for a REAL chicken soup recipe! I've been through countless recipes that call for a can of some soup and a bag of frozen vegetables. This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm going to make it with rice instead of noodles. Thank you! Thank you!