- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon each dried sage and poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen noodles or 2 cups cooked noodles
- In a 4-qt. soup kettle, place all ingredients except noodles. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to kettle. Add frozen noodles and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, or add cooked noodles and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forHerbed Chicken Soup
"I have been using this same recipe for years ! I make it with dumplings ."
"Just what I was looking for to use bones and wings after deboning breasts. Grated carrots to disguise it from my boys. Worked! Put in cooked rice, instead of noodles."