Herbed Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and onion; saute until tender.
- Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 299 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this. The only changes I made were to season the chicken when sauteing and using chicken broth instead of water. This is a keeper!
Sep 28, 2017
I made it with 2 large chicken breasts cut in strips, at least 1 lb. but it is tasteless. It has no flavor. Not Just bland.
Feb 23, 2012
I agree that this dish was bland, but I might make it again and try replacing the water with chicken broth, and I would also increase the chicken to 1 pound. The dish seemed too much like a side dish instead of a main dish.
Dec 20, 2011
Enjoyed it a lot but thought it was a little bland so we added some soy sauce and it was just what it needed. We all had seconds.
Dec 11, 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.