Herbed Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and onion; saute until tender.
- Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 299 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this. The only changes I made were to season the chicken when sauteing and using chicken broth instead of water. This is a keeper!
Sep 28, 2017
I made it with 2 large chicken breasts cut in strips, at least 1 lb. but it is tasteless. It has no flavor. Not Just bland.
Feb 23, 2012
I agree that this dish was bland, but I might make it again and try replacing the water with chicken broth, and I would also increase the chicken to 1 pound. The dish seemed too much like a side dish instead of a main dish.
Dec 20, 2011
Enjoyed it a lot but thought it was a little bland so we added some soy sauce and it was just what it needed. We all had seconds.
Dec 11, 2011