Herbed Chestnut Stuffing
Chestnuts lend a bit of crunch to every bite of this moist, buttery stuffing. One taste and you'll understand why it's a family favorite. —Tammy Nordberg, Caledonia, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2-1/2 cups chestnuts
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- With a small sharp knife, score an “X” on the rounded side of each chestnut, being careful not to cut through the nutmeat.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add chestnuts. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain and return chestnuts to the pan; cover and keep warm. With a kitchen towel or pot holder, remove one or two chestnuts at a time. Peel and discard outer shell and inner skin. Slice nutmeats.
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add chestnuts; saute 5 minutes longer. Stir in the stuffing cubes, 1-1/2 cups broth and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; pour remaining broth over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
To Make Ahead: One to two days before, boil, peel and slice the chestnuts; cover and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 293 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Chestnut Stuffing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010