- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, oil, honey, egg, salt, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and herbs. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a sharp knife, cut 1/2-in. slashes at 2-in. intervals. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush each ring with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds and cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 rings (12 slices each).
Reviews forHerbed Cheese Rings
"Nice recipe - especially as you can do a lot of the work the day before. That made it easy to make and take into work - where it was very well received!"