Herbed Cheese Rings
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 rings (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, oil, honey, egg, salt, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and herbs. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a sharp knife, cut 1/2-in. slashes at 2-in. intervals. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush each ring with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds and cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 11, 2016
Great with chili. Used egg white instead of a whole egg. Don't need to kneed. Try to make a perfect rectangle so the ring will be even. Roll up tight. When doing the rise before baking stick to the 30 minutes or the ring will go flat.
Dec 12, 2012
This was tasty and so easy to make. Well-received by everyone at a recent party. I was surprised that a bread without kneading would turn out so well.
Jul 2, 2011
Nice recipe - especially as you can do a lot of the work the day before. That made it easy to make and take into work - where it was very well received!
Feb 14, 2010