Herbed Cheddar Crescents
Our son won the Champion Dinner Rolls title with this recipe. Cheddar cheese and Italian seasoning are unique additions to the dough. —Rosalie Flanagan, Buchanan, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cheese, sugar, yeast, Italian seasoning and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 10-in. circle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Cut each circle into eight wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place pointed side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescent shape. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over crescents. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 289 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.