The only thing better than homemade bread hot from the oven is a slice of it spread with this zesty butter! "The fresh herbs make a little of this butter go a long way—you'll find you use less but still get great flavor," writes Jill Smith from Irmo, South Carolina. "It's also a wonderful potato topper."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Dash pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Spread on bread or crackers or use to top baked potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 teaspoon: 20 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Herb Butter in Light & Tasty October/November 2001