Growing up, my children loved Italian food. Now my grandchildren are enjoying these breadsticks as special treats. -Jeanne Collevechio, Ft. Pierce, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Additional butter, melted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, yeast, garlic salt, basil and oregano. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into six pieces; roll each piece into a 7-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 170 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Breadsticks in Reminisce January/February 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.