Growing up, my children loved Italian food. Now my grandchildren are enjoying these breadsticks as special treats. -Jeanne Collevechio, Ft. Pierce, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Additional butter, melted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, yeast, garlic salt, basil and oregano. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into six pieces; roll each piece into a 7-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 170 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Herbed Breadsticks in Reminisce January/February 2002