These savory biscuits bake up golden and tender. The blend of herb seasonings is irresistible. Keep the convenient seasoning mix on hand for a variety of uses.—Jane Everett, Pinehurst, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 biscuits (1/2 cup seasoning mix)
- SEASONING MIX:
- 2 tablespoon each dried oregano, marjoram and basil
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Combine seasoning mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- For biscuits, saute 1 tablespoon mix and onion in 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet until onion is tender; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg, milk and onion mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-15 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Melt remaining butter; brush over biscuits. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's Note: Seasoning mix is enough for eight batches of biscuits. It may also be used on chicken, pork, beef and steamed vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 265 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.