Herbed Beef Tenderloin
Cooking on the grill has always been one of my favorite hobbies. This recipe is a popular choice for my family's Sunday dinners or our special birthday dinners. I like to serve tenderloin with baked potatoes and homegrown vegetables.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 30 min. + standing
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place tenderloin in a large shallow dish. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over meat. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect medium-hot heat, using a drip pan. Drain and discard marinade from beef. Place beef over the direct heat. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 10-15 minutes or until beef is browned, turning frequently. Move beef to indirect side of the grill. Cover and grill for 20-25 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Originally published as Herbed Beef Tenderloin in Country Extra July 1995