Herbed Beef Stew and Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours 55 min.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 3 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add onions; cook until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 3 cups water and all the seasonings. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, parsley if desired and salt. Stir in the egg, oil and water. Drop into six mounds onto simmering stew. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 each: 416 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Jul 7, 2017
This stew is better without the cinnamon. To me cinnamon doesn't belong in a stew.
Oct 11, 2013
Omited the parsnips , dumplings a hit! Cinnamon adds something extra, will make again
Nov 20, 2011
I did not like this at all. To me, the cinnamon was just wrong in a beef stew - I had to load it with a bunch of other flavorings before I could even serve it.
Jan 5, 2009
this stew is close to mine but sometimes in stead of parsley I'll add dill and onion powder
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.