- 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 3 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add onions an garlic; continue to cook until onions are tender. Add 3 cups water and all the seasonings. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, parsley if desired and salt. Stir in egg, oil and water. Drop into six mounds onto boiling stew. Cover and cook 10-12 minutes or until done. Do not lift cover. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHerbed Beef Stew and Dumplings
"This stew is better without the cinnamon. To me cinnamon doesn't belong in a stew."
"Omited the parsnips , dumplings a hit! Cinnamon adds something extra, will make again"
"I did not like this at all. To me, the cinnamon was just wrong in a beef stew - I had to load it with a bunch of other flavorings before I could even serve it."
"this stew is close to mine but sometimes in stead of parsley I'll add dill and onion powder"