Herbed Beef Barley Soup
Thyme comes through in this colorful soup that's chock-full of tender beef. You can use any combination of vegetables you have on hand," Heidee adds. "Leftovers work especially well."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 portion Triple-Batch Beef, thawed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-14 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's Note: 2 cups of cubed cooked beef and 1/2 cup beef broth may be substituted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 214 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1088mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Beef Barley Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.