Herbed Asparagus Soup Recipe
From Sterling Heights, Michigan, Adele Long shares the recipe for an asparagus soup that tastes like spring. Pureed to a smooth and creamy texture, the soup is nicely seasoned with thyme...and is sure to please asparagus lovers.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter. Add the broth, asparagus, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Drain asparagus, reserving cooking liquid. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a food processor, combine asparagus and 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cover and process until smooth. Return pureed asparagus and remaining cooking liquid to pan.
- 3. Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish each serving with sour cream and lemon peel. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 107 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 876mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Herbed Asparagus Soup
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC