This salad is a wonderful way to serve fresh-cut asparagus. The tarragon and oregano are a nice surprise in the lemon and oil dressing, and the boiled eggs make a pretty, tasty garnish.
Recommended: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, oregano, tarragon, pepper and garlic; shake well. Pour over asparagus; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place salad greens on a serving platter. With a slotted spoon, arrange asparagus over greens. Garnish with egg slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Asparagus Salad in Country May 2007, p49