Herb & Romano Cheese Wreath
After the wreath is baked and cooled it can be wrapped in foil, placed in an airtight plastic bag and frozen until you are ready to give it away. Add some whipped butter on the side and it’s the perfect gift.—Linda Padia, Wauna, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (24 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons grated Romano cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and honey in warm water; stir in milk powder. In a large bowl, combine eggs, softened butter, 2 tablespoons cheese, rosemary, thyme, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 30-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Shape into a wreath and pinch ends to seal.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush braid with melted butter; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.