- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 18 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Rub the surface of the turkey and sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper. Place 12 sprigs of thyme in cavity.
- In a large heavy roasting pan, place onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns and remaining thyme sprigs. Place the turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Drizzle butter over turkey and sprinkle with minced herbs.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours. Remove foil; bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting every 20 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Discard vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns; if desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forHerb-Roasted Turkey
"Very flavorful and juicy bird!"
"best turkey i have ever had"
"I'd make this recipe a several years back and while it was good, I still kept trying different recipes. A few years ago, I was told to try cooking your turkey in a bag. It's so easy-no basting-and your turkey is juicy. So this year I used this recipe but put everything in a turkey bag and everyone loved it! I'll be using this recipe from now on."
"I will be using this same recipe for the second Thanksgiving in a row. My husband hates a turkey that has dry white meat. He loved the moisture in this entire turkey and asked that I keep this recipe handy in my Recipe Box. Our daughter is a newlywed, so I recommended this recipe to her. It's so easy and good!!!"
"This was only my second time ever making a turkey! I had a big crowd to feed being that we are stationed overseas and had invited a lot of my husband's soldiers from the barracks. It was so moist and flavorful, I will absolutely use it again, so so yummy!"
"Very succulent flavor....very tender, very good recipe!"