My grandma always made these rolls. She herself enjoyed them as a child in Germany. I practiced for years before I finally perfected the recipe! —Lonna Smith, Woodruff, Wisconsin
Recommended: 20 Recipes for Homemade Rolls
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, yeast, sugar, chives, salt and parsley. In a small saucepan, heat milk and sour cream to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Herb Potato Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p19
Reviews forHerb Potato Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2011
"This recipe is amazing! easy to make, and smells amazing. I did sub green onion for the chives because the store had those on sale. But a very good recipe!"