Herb & Olive Oil Corn Bread
Olive oil helps showcase the flavor of fresh herbs in this fragrant corn bread. It is always a huge hit with my family and friends!—Mary Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place an 8-in. cast-iron skillet in oven; heat skillet 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons oil until blended. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Add remaining oil to skillet; tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. Add batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into wedges; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 183 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Fresh Herb and Olive Oil Corn Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.