"I have a friend who runs a greenhouse and holds a spring tea showcasing herbs and recipes that use them," says Josie Smith of Winamac, Indiana. "This cheese spread is a favorite." Josie spreads the herbed on assorted crackers and breads to make a crowd-pleasing appetizer
Recommended: Top 10 Herbs for Your Kitchen Garden
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, parsley and chives
- 1/2 teaspoon each fresh oregano, dill and garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Assorted crackers or bread
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and herbs until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve on crackers or bread. Yield: 1 cup.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 tablespoons cheese spread, calculated without crackers) equals 41 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 lean meat.
- 8 servings, 2 tablespoons per serving. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Herb Cheese Spread in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p11