Herb Cheese Bread
A flavorful combination of herbs makes this cheese-topped loaf a welcome addition to most any menu. In fact, we couldn't believe how light the buttery slices were when compared to frozen breads found in the grocery store. —Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in margarine for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the seasonings. Brush over cut sides of French bread; sprinkle with cheese.
- Wrap each piece of bread loosely in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cut each piece into six slices. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Blue Bonnet light stick margarine.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 147 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Herb Cheese Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.