Heavenly Dinner Rolls
Several years ago, I entered this recipe in a contest sponsored by a local newspaper and was awarded a first prize! Your family and friends will give these fluffy rolls high honors, too!—Joan Priefert, Overland Park, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melted butter, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, shortening and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and enough remaining flour to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter or drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush tops with butter if desired. Dough may be refrigerated up to 3 days. Punch down each day.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.