Heavenly Cheese Danish
This tempting cheese Danish is baked to flaky perfection and made to shine with a simple egg wash gloss. It tastes just as decadent as any breakfast pastry you'd find in a bakery or coffee shop. —Josephine Triton, Lakewood, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In another bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk, egg yolks and yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- To assemble, punch down dough; divide into 4 portions. On a lightly floured surface, pat each portion into a 9x4-in. rectangle; sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into four 9x1-in. strips. Twist each strip, then loosely wrap strip around itself to form a coil; tuck under end and pinch to seal. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and egg yolk until smooth. Press an indentation in center of each roll; fill with 1 rounded tablespoon cream cheese mixture. Cover with greased plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk egg white with water; brush over rolls. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks; brush with syrup. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 359 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.