Heavenly Cheese Danish
This tempting cheese danish is baked to flaky perfection and made to shine with a simple egg wash gloss. It tastes just as decadent as any breakfast pastry you'd find in a bakery or coffee shop. —Josephine Triton, Lakewood, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In another bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk, egg yolks and yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- To assemble, punch down dough; divide into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, pat each portion into a 9x4-in. rectangle; sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into four 9x1-in. strips. Twist each strip, then loosely wrap strip around itself to form a coil; tuck under end and pinch to seal. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and egg yolk until smooth. Press an indentation in center of each roll; fill with 1 rounded tablespoon cream cheese mixture. Cover with greased plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk egg white with water; brush over rolls. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks; brush with syrup. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Heavenly Cheese Danish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.