Hearty Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the zucchini; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg; mix well. Spread over zucchini. Layer with half of the meat mixture, remaining zucchini and remaining flour. Top with mozzarella cheese and the remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 334 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 919mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 21, 2011
We found it to be a healthy alternative that used up our excess zucchini.
Sep 17, 2009
I made this recipe, Not found here but from one I'd found in another magazine some time ago. Same ingredents and instructions. I found it to be rather sloppy or runny. I think due to the moisture in zucchini-next time I think I'd allow the zucchini to drain in a collender, then brush it with some olive oil and salt and pepper-then grill it to dry it out. There was just too much liquid, therefore did not hold shape when cut, it just was too runny. It did taste good though.