Hearty Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the zucchini; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg; mix well. Spread over zucchini. Layer with half of the meat mixture, remaining zucchini and remaining flour. Top with mozzarella cheese and the remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 334 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 919mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 21, 2011
We found it to be a healthy alternative that used up our excess zucchini.
Sep 17, 2009
I made this recipe, Not found here but from one I'd found in another magazine some time ago. Same ingredents and instructions. I found it to be rather sloppy or runny. I think due to the moisture in zucchini-next time I think I'd allow the zucchini to drain in a collender, then brush it with some olive oil and salt and pepper-then grill it to dry it out. There was just too much liquid, therefore did not hold shape when cut, it just was too runny. It did taste good though.