My father-in-law used to make this casserole in the oven. I switched to the slow cooker so I wouldn't need to keep an eye on it. This side dish compliments many meals. - Mrs. Garnet Pettigrew, Columbia City, Indiana
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the celery, broth, water, onion, rice, mushrooms and soy sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 4 hours or until the rice is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Wild Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p63
Reviews forHearty Wild Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 24, 2009
"NOT a good recipe. Very little taste. Cooked into mush. Would not recommend."