I developed this scrumptious chicken chili after tasting something similar at a restaurant. Now my family prefers mine. Crispy tortilla strips give each serving pizzazz. —Gail Haile, Scottsmoor, Florida
Recommended: 17 Chili Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 pounds), skin removed and cut up
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Place the first six ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and peppercorns; skim fat from broth. Set broth aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove meat from bones; cut into bite-size pieces and set aside. Discard bones.
- In a bowl, toss tortilla strips with 1 teaspoon oil. Arrange strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crisp, stirring once.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onions and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add 4 cups chicken broth (save remaining broth for another use).
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in beans, tomatoes and chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes longer. Top servings with baked tortilla strips, sour cream, green onions and cheese. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty White Chicken Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p238