Hearty Walleye Sandwiches
Our family likes to fish, so I'm always looking for different ways to prepare our catch. This one has turned out to be a family favorite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 walleye fillets (about 12 ounces), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Sprinkle fillet with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Coat with cornmeal and set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook fillet in reserved drippings for about 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, butter cut sides of buns. Place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Toast under broiler for about 1 minute or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; spread on buns. Top with lettuce, tomato slices and fish.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 1123 calories, 63g fat (18g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 1681mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Walleye Sandwiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook