- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh kale
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, kale, peas, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir pasta into sauce. If desired, serve with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHearty Vegetable Beef Ragout
"I omitted spaghetti sauce added can black beans rinsed and drained, can of retell, and mushrooms. It was delicious, will make again"
"This was definitely fast and tastey . We don't care for Kale so I used chopped broccoli instead it makes a lot so I hope it freezes well"
"We enjoyed this--I love the fact that kale can be incorporated into a meal without the family objecting. Satisfying and fairly easy to make."
"A big hit with our teenage daughters. easy to prepare and very tasty. Loved how it incorporated kale. For a recipe that's less of a ragout, omit the spaghetti sauce."
"This was very good. healthy & hearty. A great way to add kale to your meal."