Hearty Turkey Meatball Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, bread crumbs, cheese and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; cook 10-12 minutes longer or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Add meatballs and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 258 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 2, 2012
This was really good, hearty soup! I served it for lunch with homemade whole wheat dinner rolls. Delicious winter meal! I only had 2 cans of chicken broth so I substituted 1 can of vegetarian vegetable broth for the third can. Then I sprinkled in some powdered chicken bouillon to add back the chicken broth flavoring. It worked great! I also used Jennie-O 99% lean ground turkey. My 12 year old son really liked this soup!
Oct 17, 2011
Nov 29, 2010
I've made this twice, with ground turkey and with leftover turkey, both were excellent. I doubled the pasta because we wanted a heartier dish. Even the kids ate it up.
Nov 24, 2010
This is a great recipe. I added a can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings to my version and it was great. Very healthy and tasty!
Feb 26, 2010
Even my 3 year old loves this soup. Super yummy! I make it with turkey sausage, just remove the casing.
Jan 21, 2010
Very tasty. I omit the pasta (I think it gets too mushy when reheated), and add cabbage and more broth. I put leftovers in baggies and freeze to take to work.
Jan 5, 2010
This was wonderful on a cold night! Easy to make and delicious. I added additional broth, I like a "brothier" soup, but other than that, wouldn't change a thing! Leftovers reheated well and tasted even better!
Oct 18, 2009
very good, although once you chop everything it takes longer than 30 minutes to prep. Freezes well. I would like TOH to add this to recipes, I make soup on Sundays and freeze for during the week.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.