Hearty Tuna Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tuna, zucchini, sour cream, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme and salt.
- Spoon half into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with tomato.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 279 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 22, 2019
This was really good! I just substituted 2 C frozen mixed veggies for zucchini, and red bell pepper for tomatoes. And cheddar jack cheese for mozzarella. I think they meant 2 tablespoons of prepare mustard. And I did 1/2 c sour cream and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise. I didn't care for the dried thyme and will be using dried parsley next time. It was a great dinner to throw together on a cold winter night! Thank you Taste of Home!!
May 23, 2016
This is the healthiest tuna casserole that I've ever made. I substituted grated carrot for the zucchini and added some chopped fresh spinach. It was delicious.
Nov 14, 2015
I made this for my husband and I and he really like it. I like the fact it had zucchini, I have not seen that before and really appreciated that. I would definitely make this again.
Jan 12, 2014
glad to see a healthy version of this classic..used Hellman's Balsamic Mayo and Dijon mustard in it and it really was much better tasting while still keeping calories under control.
Oct 25, 2013
I cut the recipe in half. I used pasta shells instead of noodles, chopped fresh spinach instead of zucchini, added chopped mushrooms, chopped red bell pepper. Since I cut the sauce ingredients in half I was afraid it would be dry so I poured 1/4 cup chicken broth over the whole dish before I baked it. I didn't layer the cheese. I waited until the casserole was cooked through and then added 1/4 cheese on top and let it melt. Turned out really tasty. Would definitely make again.
Dec 1, 2009
I like the idea of adding zucchini to this recipe to add some veggies to the dish...it was very tasty... we enjoyed it. I served it w/a baked tomato dish.