Hearty Tortilla Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Anaheim or Poblano chilies, roasted, peeled and finely chopped or 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onion, chilies, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cream and salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread 3 tablespoons sauce in an ungreased 8-in. round or square baking dish. Spread about 2 teaspoons sauce on each tortilla; layer with beans, beef mixture and 2 tablespoons of each kind of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 657 calories, 35g fat (18g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1442mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 34g protein.
Sep 17, 2013
I've made this before using canned peppers. This time I used fresh poblano and Jalpeno. I didn't have refried beans, but I did have black beans. I used 2 Tbsp black beans on each tortilla. And as I always do, I up the amount of whipping cream to 1/2 cup. It works so much better that way. I got compliments this time.
Mar 27, 2011
my little ones aren't fond of peppers and onions, so I made it withoug most of the sauce items. Still it was so good and gave a creamer texture then my usual enchiladas.