Hearty Tortellini Soup
Diana Lauhon of Minerva, Ohio modified a soup recipe to suit her family's tastes while taking advantage of convenience foods. "Once you brown the sausage, it's a snap to throw in the other ingredients and let them simmer. Frozen tortellini is added minutes before serving for a savory soup that tastes like you spent hours making it."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10-12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 3 uncooked Italian sausage links (1/2 to 3/4 pound)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut sausage into 3/4-in. pieces; brown in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Drain. Add the water, tomatoes, soup, coleslaw mix and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover; add tortellini. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until pasta is tender. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Editor's NoteBroccoli coleslaw mix may be found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 184 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 9, 2010
This was by far the best soup recipe I came across last year. My teenagers and husband say it is their favorite soup ever!! Definitely a family favorite at my house!!