Hearty Tomato Bisque
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces soft tofu, drained and crumbled (1 cup)
- 1-1/2 cups soy milk
- 3/4 cup salad croutons
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, rosemary, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in tofu and soy milk. Cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through. Garnish with croutons.
1 cup: 156 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 432mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jul 26, 2013
this recipe was amazing i added some tony sachers, peppers, basil and garlic.
Jun 27, 2013
I made this with slight changes. Omitted the rosemary, used Italian flavored tomatoes. I used plain almond milk. I served with toast, not croutons.
Feb 20, 2012
Rich and tasty but perhaps could use a bit more spice (black pepper perhaps).
Jul 22, 2011
Am I right to assume that the soy milk used is the plain variety with no added sugar or flavoring like vanilla?
Dec 9, 2008
This was just OK; made with powdered milk and water instead of the soy milk. We have had better tomato soup and my husband thinks canned tomato soup is better.
Feb 2, 2009
Very good. Would add a few more spices next time though.