- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans
- 1 can (14 ounces) hominy
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Optional toppings: corn chips, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Rinse and drain beans and hominy. Add to beef, along with canned tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce, onion, the dressing and seasoning mixes and pepper. Puree green chilies and remaining diced tomatoes in a covered blender until smooth; stir into beef mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Taco Chili
"Really good chili recipe! I was anxious to try this one because it had a package of ranch dressing mix in the ingredients and I had never tried that with chili. Had to make a couple of substitutions based on what I had on hand.....used chili beans and omitted the hominy and used crushed tomatoes instead of diced. Also added a bit of kosher salt and a pinch of sugar. Served it with jalapeno corn muffins. Made it last night and today it's all gone! Will definitely make again!Volunteer Field Editor"
"I had most of the ingredients, but I needed to make a couple of substitutions, rather than going to the grocery store. chili packet subbed for Ranch - Corn subbed for hominy. I also cooked the onion (and garlic) after the beef was browned and added the packets and some sauce to develop the flavor before transferring to the slow cooker and adding remaining ingredients, including some cayenne for heat. I did a taste test, and menu adjustment to fit it in this week. This chili is FABULOUS!! I never make any chili but mine, but hubby agreed this is a keeper."
"I had most of the ingredients on hand for this dish, but I needed to make a couple of substitutions, rather than go to the grocery store. chili packet subbed for Ranch - Corn subbed for hominy. I also cooked the onion (and garlic) after the beef was browned and added the packets and some sauce to develop the flavor before transferring to the slow cooker and adding remaining ingredients, including some cayenne for heat. This chili is FABULOUS!! I never make any chili but mine, but hubby agreed this is a keeper!"
"Delicious! I love making ths chili. It's so flavorful and hearty. The only change I made was that I omitted the step using the blender and simply added the contents of the cans without blending them."
"Yum yum! I love chili and this mixes my love of Mexican food as well. It makes so much and is just tasty all around!"
"My teenage sons absolutely love this!!!"
"We loved this chili. I left the hominy and green chilies out and used seasoned pinto beans. I cooked it on high in the crock pot for 3 hrs. It was my first try to make "scratch " chilli."