Hearty Taco Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/3 cups plus 4 to 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and 1-1/3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in enough remaining water to form a soft dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Press into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, taco seasoning and cooked rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in eggs and cilantro. Spread over crust.
- Cover and bake for 15-17 minutes or until filling is set. Cut into squares. Top with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 284 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Feb 18, 2016
First time i made I also thought it somewhat bland. Second time I made I added more spices and used gluten free flour for hubby - overall good dish.
Nov 15, 2012
seemed a little dry and didn't have much flavor. might try adding some salsa before I back it.
Jul 13, 2012
7 points ww for 6 servings i used this taco seasoning mix Ingredients1 tablespoon chili powder1/4 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon onion powder1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1/4 teaspoon dried oregano1/2 teaspoon paprika1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin1 teaspoon sea salt1 teaspoon black pepperDirectionsIn a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
Jan 6, 2011
One of my go-to recipes!!
Mar 28, 2010
I used the idea of a previous poster and made this with the refrigerated low-fat biscuits. Turned out great!
Mar 25, 2010
i loved this but used the homemade taco seasoning on this site but i omitted the salt in place of the taco seasoning mix,,,,ummmm
Oct 19, 2009
i meant to hit 5 stars for this recipe
Oct 19, 2009
love love love this recipe i forgot what magazine this was in, i have made it b4 and loved it. i have tons of light and tasty magazines and got tired of looking for it ...HIGHLY RECCOMENDED
Jul 12, 2009
It would be a whole lot easier to just use low fat crescent roll dough for the crust. Rolling it out was a pain. But the casserole tasted great - I added black beans and some canned tomatoes that I had left over from a previous meal. Really good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.