Hearty Sweet and Tangy Meatballs
These hearty meatballs, boasting a sweet and savory sauce, can be served as an entree or in a hoagie sandwich. Either way, be prepared for compliments.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, bread and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, in batches; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Add to skillet with meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meatballs:: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. In a large skillet, add meatballs; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts4 each: 357 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Meatballs in Country October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.